Wednesday, March 29, 2006

 

LUN's NMAI diary entry

A NICE TIME AT THE INDIAN MUSEUM

This morning, I met with other classmates at Stamp Union bus stop around 9 am. Then we all took a bus to the College Park Metro Station. We had to take the Green Line which would go to L'Enfant Plaza station. Luckily, after I entered the train, there were plenty of seats. I sat with Nari who is Korean and Ozgecan who is Turkish. In the meantime, I was bored, so I counted 11 stops to the destination. Then I looked around, and I saw there were many people taking a nap. I guess those people probably hadn’t gotten enough sleep. Anyway, after 40 minutes of travel time, we arrived at our destination. We walked about 10 minutes to the National Museum of the American Indian. I saw the U.S Capitol, but it’s kind of far away. Next time I get a chance, I will go to visit the U.S. Capitol.

The first impression I got from the American Indian Museum is that it was like a mountain. It is 4 floors high.

When I entered the museum, my task was to learn about Yup-Ik. The Yup-Ik people live in Alaska, and they are Eskimos. When their children catch their first animal, they have a ceremony for the children. And they serve ice cream for this important ceremony. I think the ceremony expresses family’s love.

We had lunch in the museum. I noticed that they had traditional Indian food. I ate lunch with Nari and Ali around 12:15pm. I ordered a buffalo burger, but I didn’t like it. The reason I ordered it was because it contained less fat than beef. It could be a healthy food for me. After lunch, I went to see a short movie for 10 minutes.

I left the museum around 2 pm. We walked to L'Enfant Plaza station, and took the Green Line to the College Park Metro Station. Then I went back home. I feel it was a interesting day. I had a good time today.

Comments:
Hi Lun, I enjoyed reading about your day at the Museum. I wonder why you were interested in knowing more about the Yup-Ik people. Was it an assignment your teacher gave you or did it come from your special interested about Alaska? It is fascinating how different people in the world celebrate that special stage between childhood and manhood, as in the case of the Yup-Ik fishing tradition.
Nice reading your diary entry. Warmly from Caracas, Berta
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?